Saturday, October 31, 2009

Never made it before, never tasted better!

Growing up, my parents frequently had shrimp and used "daikon", which is a huge white turnip... however, I've never used these ingredients myself (yeah, I don't really cook shellfish)... It was a fun day though. Here's the finished products! Both dishes were inspired by Top Chef episodes (Anita Lo's Daikon Scallop and some season 3 Shrimp/Miso bacon dish)

Shrimp marinated in Mirin/Soy/Spicy stuff/Sour stuff/Oil/Garlic/Ginger... lightly sauteed in butter
Red/Yellow/Italian/Jalapeno pepper "relish"
Spicy soy/chili aioli
Miso/sugar glazed bacon
From 10/31 Cooking!

Unfortunately, I didn't have a squirt bottle to plate the aioli a lot better and I didn't portion the relish well I guess... but it was delicious. Damn.

Daikon (looks kinda like steak eh? intended!) braised in redwine/stock
Watercress salad tossed with lemon/soy/shallot/yummy hit of acid
Panko battered Beet/Yam/Shallot ... crispy and delicious.
From 10/31 Cooking!

I scooped out a hole underneath the daikon to put a gently poached egg yolk with bacon and meat flavors, but I got lazy and my parents and neighbors got hungry. I also wasn't able to take the stock and reduce it to make a cream sauce which would have made the plate look much better (white on black! cool).

I love these new plates!

No comments:

Post a Comment